Difference between revisions of "Abdie, Fife, Scotland Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(added a link)
(added another link)
Line 1: Line 1:
Abdie #400<!-- Tidy found serious XHTML errors -->
+
Abdie #400<!-- Tidy found serious XHTML errors -->&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; [Return to the [[Fife_Parishes|parish list]].]
  
 
== History  ==
 
== History  ==
Line 11: Line 11:
 
The above extract is from the account written in 1836.  
 
The above extract is from the account written in 1836.  
  
'''Source:'''&nbsp; ''The New Statistical Account of Scotland'', for Fife.&nbsp; FHL book 941 B4sa, 2nd series, vol. 9.&nbsp; <span id="fck_dom_range_temp_1217629637110_411"></span>Also available online at [http://edina.ac.uk/stat-acc-scot/ http://edina.ac.uk/stat-acc-scot/]. Browse by the parish name.
+
'''Source:'''&nbsp; ''The New Statistical Account of Scotland'', for Fife.&nbsp; FHL book 941 B4sa, 2nd series, vol. 9.&nbsp; <span id="fck_dom_range_temp_1217629637110_411"></span>Also available online at [http://edina.ac.uk/stat-acc-scot/ http://edina.ac.uk/stat-acc-scot/]. Browse by the parish name.  
  
 
== Established Church—Old Parochial Registers  ==
 
== Established Church—Old Parochial Registers  ==
  
 
+
{| cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" width="476" border="0"
 
 
{| height="129" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" width="476" border="0"
 
 
|-
 
|-
| <u>Event Type</u>
+
| <u>Event Type</u>  
| <u>Years Covered</u>
+
| <u>Years Covered</u>  
 
| <u>FHL Film Number</u>
 
| <u>FHL Film Number</u>
 
|-
 
|-
| '''Births:'''
+
| '''Births:'''  
| 1620-1786
+
| 1620-1786  
 
| 1040143 item 6
 
| 1040143 item 6
 
|-
 
|-
 
|  
 
|  
| 1786-1854
+
| 1786-1854  
 
| 1040144 items 1-2
 
| 1040144 items 1-2
 
|-
 
|-
| '''Marriages:'''
+
| '''Marriages:'''  
| 1691-1713, 1720-1767, 1784-1785
+
| 1691-1713, 1720-1767, 1784-1785  
 
| 1040143 item 6
 
| 1040143 item 6
 
|-
 
|-
 
|  
 
|  
| 1786-1854
+
| 1786-1854  
 
| 1040144 items 1-2
 
| 1040144 items 1-2
 
|-
 
|-
| '''Deaths:'''
+
| '''Deaths:'''  
| 1784-1785
+
| 1784-1785  
 
| 1040143 item 6
 
| 1040143 item 6
 
|}
 
|}
  
 
+
<br>
  
 
==== Condition of Original Registers—<br> ====
 
==== Condition of Original Registers—<br> ====
Line 50: Line 48:
 
'''Index:''' For an index to these records, see the Scottish Church Records Index available on computer at the Family History Library&nbsp;and family history centers. Some records may be indexed in the International Genealogical Index. <br>'''Births:''' There are no entries between December 1624–October 1625, and January 1717 May 1719. Mother's names are not recorded until March 1783.<br>Marriag'''es:''' There are no entries July 1713–October 1719, 1759–1767, July 1759–May 18 1784, and for 1787 except entries of contract or proclamation money.<br>'''Source:''' ''Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland'', by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. FHL British Book 941 K23b. <!-- Tidy found serious XHTML errors -->
 
'''Index:''' For an index to these records, see the Scottish Church Records Index available on computer at the Family History Library&nbsp;and family history centers. Some records may be indexed in the International Genealogical Index. <br>'''Births:''' There are no entries between December 1624–October 1625, and January 1717 May 1719. Mother's names are not recorded until March 1783.<br>Marriag'''es:''' There are no entries July 1713–October 1719, 1759–1767, July 1759–May 18 1784, and for 1787 except entries of contract or proclamation money.<br>'''Source:''' ''Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland'', by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. FHL British Book 941 K23b. <!-- Tidy found serious XHTML errors -->
  
== Established Church—Kirk Session Records ==
+
== Established Church—Kirk Session Records ==
 
 
Minutes 1719–1797<br>Accounts 1719–1908, 1924–1945<br>Proclamations 1855–1897<br>List of Population of the Parish 1821<br>Communion Rolls1876–1940<br>'''Note:''' Available at St. Andrews University Library, St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland, record CH2/828.
 
  
 +
Minutes 1719–1797<br>Accounts 1719–1908, 1924–1945<br>Proclamations 1855–1897<br>List of Population of the Parish 1821<br>Communion Rolls1876–1940<br>'''Note:''' Available at St. Andrews University Library, St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland, record CH2/828.
  
 +
<br>
  
== Nonconformist Church Records ==
+
== Nonconformist Church Records ==
  
=== Abdie and Newburgh Free Church ===
+
=== Abdie and Newburgh Free Church ===
  
'''History—''' <br>The ministers of these parishes adhered to the Establishment in 1843. Those who adhered to the Free Church were formed into a congregation under the minister of Dunbog, who with many of his people came out at the Disruption. <br>'''Membership:''' 1848, 190; 1900, 132.<br>'''Source:''' ''Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900'', ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D. 2 vols. pub. 1914. Film #918572. More details may be given in the source.
+
'''History—''' <br>The ministers of these parishes adhered to the Establishment in 1843. Those who adhered to the Free Church were formed into a congregation under the minister of Dunbog, who with many of his people came out at the Disruption. <br>'''Membership:''' 1848, 190; 1900, 132.<br>'''Source:''' ''Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900'', ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D. 2 vols. pub. 1914. Film #918572. More details may be given in the source.  
  
 
'''Records—<br>'''The extent of pre-1855 records is unknown.<br><br>
 
'''Records—<br>'''The extent of pre-1855 records is unknown.<br><br>
  
 
&nbsp;
 
&nbsp;

Revision as of 22:28, 1 August 2008

Abdie #400                    [Return to the parish list.]

History

The name of this parish, Abdie or Ebtie, is supposed to be the Gaelic word abtaob signifying waterside.  The ancient name of the parish was Lindores, which is still the name of the principal village in it, a place of great antiquity.  The church of Abdie was always reckoned to have belonged to the abbey of Lindores.  In 1633, the whole of the parish of Newburgh was disjoined from Abdie.  The old church, which is now in ruins, may be traced to the beginning of the fifteenth century.  There are also the ruins of old Lindores castle.  The present church was built in 1827.

The parish contains the Loch of Lindores. A stream which flows from it turns several mills including a saw mill, a bone mill, and corn and barley mills.  Grain, potatoes, turnips, and hay are raised.  Grain and potatoes are exported.

The population of the parish in 1755 was 822, in 1801 was 725, and in 1831 was 870.  The school in the parish is attended by an average of 40 children.  Several children near the schools at Newburgh, Dunbog, and Collessie attend there.

The above extract is from the account written in 1836.

Source:  The New Statistical Account of Scotland, for Fife.  FHL book 941 B4sa, 2nd series, vol. 9.  Also available online at http://edina.ac.uk/stat-acc-scot/. Browse by the parish name.

Established Church—Old Parochial Registers

Event Type Years Covered FHL Film Number
Births: 1620-1786 1040143 item 6
1786-1854 1040144 items 1-2
Marriages: 1691-1713, 1720-1767, 1784-1785 1040143 item 6
1786-1854 1040144 items 1-2
Deaths: 1784-1785 1040143 item 6


Condition of Original Registers—

Index: For an index to these records, see the Scottish Church Records Index available on computer at the Family History Library and family history centers. Some records may be indexed in the International Genealogical Index.
Births: There are no entries between December 1624–October 1625, and January 1717 May 1719. Mother's names are not recorded until March 1783.
Marriages: There are no entries July 1713–October 1719, 1759–1767, July 1759–May 18 1784, and for 1787 except entries of contract or proclamation money.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. FHL British Book 941 K23b.

Established Church—Kirk Session Records

Minutes 1719–1797
Accounts 1719–1908, 1924–1945
Proclamations 1855–1897
List of Population of the Parish 1821
Communion Rolls1876–1940
Note: Available at St. Andrews University Library, St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland, record CH2/828.


Nonconformist Church Records

Abdie and Newburgh Free Church

History—
The ministers of these parishes adhered to the Establishment in 1843. Those who adhered to the Free Church were formed into a congregation under the minister of Dunbog, who with many of his people came out at the Disruption.
Membership: 1848, 190; 1900, 132.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D. 2 vols. pub. 1914. Film #918572. More details may be given in the source.

Records—
The extent of pre-1855 records is unknown.