9th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, December 7, 1863, to March 29, 1864 They mustered out August 28, 1865
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 9th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 27 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Marion County - see Roster on page 148
- Company B - many men from Hancock County - see Roster on page 149
- Company C - many men from Wayne and Fayette counties - see Roster on page 151
- Company D - many men from Union County - see Roster on page 153
- Company E - many men from Henry and Rush counties - see Roster on page 154
- Company F- many men from Marion, Johnson, Rush, and Boone counties - see Roster on page 155
- Company G - many men from Delaware County - see Roster on page 157
- Company H - many men from Shelby, Marion, and Johnson counties - see Roster on page 158
- Company I - many men from Hendricks,and Marion counties - see Roster on page 159
- Company K - many men from Dearborn County - see Roster on page 161
- Company L - many men fromRandolph, Marion, Johnson, and Delaware counties - see Roster on page 162
- Company M - many men from Rush County - see Roster on page 164
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 165
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 121st Indiana Regiment / 9th Indiana Cavalry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 29 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Website with histories of the Indiana Regiments.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) List of Indiana Regimental that are on Wikipedia.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana