9th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry
Brief History - "The Irish Regiment"
The 9th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry was organized at New Haven, Connecticut and was mustered in on the 26th September, 1861. The last of the regiment was mustered out August 3, 1865 at Savannah, Georgia.
For more information on the 9th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry and its history, see:
- Regiment History - Murray, Thomas Hamilton, History of the Ninth Regiment C.V. "The Irish Regiment", (The Price, Lee & Adkins Co. : New Haven, Conn, 1903.) Available online and digitized by the Arnold Bernhard Library in partnership with the Connecticut Irish-American Historical Society, February 2007. This website was designed by Frances C. Foley, (accessed 9 Mar 2011). Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082923, or FHL US/CAN Film 1486473.
Companies in this Regiment
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first. This regiment was composed of men from all parts of Connecticut, but the majority of men in each unit resided in the following counties:
Company A was largely formed by men from New Haven County.
Company C was largely formed by men from New Haven County.
Company D was largely formed by men from Fairfield County.
Company E was largely formed by men from New Haven County.
Company F was largely formed by men from New Haven County.
- Connecticut. Adjutant General's Office, Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations, with additional enlistments and casualties to July 1, 1864, (Hartford, Connecticut : Case, Lockwood, 1864), page 342. Available Online at Internet Archive, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Book 974.6 M2a, or FHL US/CAN Film 1550802.
- Adjutant General's Office, Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations : (infantry, cavalry, and artillery,) in the service of the United States, 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, &c., &c., and brief summaries, showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries, (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), page 395. Includes index. Online at Internet Archive, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082887. or FHL US/CAN Film 1033670 Item 1.
- 9th Connecticut (Irish) Regiment Graves , (accessed 9 Mar 2011). Roster by Name and Roster by Company transcribed by F.W. Chesson.
- The Civil War in the East - Timeline of the 9th Connecticut Infantry Regiment
- Ninth Regiment Connecticut Volunteers - This website includes a history of the Ninth as well as some soldier's stories, information on the makeup of the Ninth, a listing of known gravesites, a description of regimental flags and various newspaper histories; and more.
- 9th Regiment Statistics - The 9th Regiment lost 250 men during the Civil War.