9th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry
Brief History - "The Irish Regiment"
The 9th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry was organized at New Haven, Connecticut and was mustered in on the 26th September, 1861. The last of the regiment was mustered out August 3, 1865 at Savannah, Georgia.
For more information on the 9th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry and its history, see:
- Regiment History - History of the Ninth Regiment C.V. "The Irish Regiment", by Thomas Hamilton Murray - Online Book
Companies in this Regiment
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first. This regiment was composed of men from all parts of Connecticut, but the majority of men in each unit resided in the following counties:
Company A - New Haven County
Company C - New Haven County
Company D - Fairfield County
Company E - New Haven County
Company F - New Haven County
- Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations, with additional enlistments and casualties to July 1, 1864. Compiled From Records in the Adjutant General's Office and Published by Order of the Legislature, by Horace J. Morse - Adjutant General - Online Book
- Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations : (infantry, cavalry, and artillery,) in the service of the United States, 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, &c., &c., and brief summaries, showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries (1869) by Connecticut. Adjutant-General's Office; Ingersoll, Colin M. (Colin Macrae), 1819-1904 - Online Book
- The Civil War in the East - Timeline of the 9th Connecticut Infantry Regiment
- Ninth Regiment Connecticut Volunteers - This website includes a history of the Ninth as well as some soldier's stories, information on the makeup of the Ninth, a listing of known gravesites, a description of regimental flags and various newspaper histories; and more.
- 9th Connecticut (Irish) Regiment Graves - Roster by Name and Roster by Company
- 9th Regiment Statistics - The 9th Regiment lost 250 men during the Civil War.