97th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 97th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in September 16, 1862. It moved to Mobile May 11, thence to Galveston, Texas, and had duty there until July. It mustered out July 29, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 97th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 6 January 2011) article on the 97th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- Civil War Archive. (accessed 6 Jan 2011) Brief history of the 97th Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the  web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Company A - many men from Macoupin County -
Company B - many men from Cumberland County -
Company C - many men from Calhoun and Fulton counties -
Company D - many men from Cumberland and Jasper counties -
Company E - many men from Coles and Jasper counties -
Company F - many men from Fayette County -
Company G - many men from Madison County -
Company H - many men from Fayette and Jersey counties -
Company I - many men from Fayette and Madison counties -
Company K - many men from Jersey County -
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 January 2011) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 97th Regiment (accessed 22 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois. Illinois Military Units in the Civil War. (Springfield, [Ill.]:Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois, c1962).FHL Collection.FHL US/CAN Book 977.3 M2im and FHL US/CAN FIlm 6334558. Other libraries with this book. Includes millitary units by county, infantry, cavalry, and artillery regiments, including independent artillery.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 91st-97th Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488480. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- Vance, Joseph W and Illinois. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois, 1861-1866 .(Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957, 1980).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 1670785. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.Rosters of officers, enlisted men, and historical memoranda of the regiments.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).