96th Regiment, Ohio Infantry
- The 96th Regiment was organized at Camp Delaware, Ohio, August 29, 1862. It mustered out July 7, 1865, possibly at Mobile, Alabama, since it had duty at Mobile in July.
- For more information about the 96th Regiment and its history,see:
- Ninety-Sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry Web site includes history, roster, organization, roll of honor, cemeteries, biographies, archives, and references. List of companies and county of origin. Rosters of companies.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - many men from Knox County - see Roster
- Company B - many men from Knox County - see Roster
- Company C - many men from Morrow County - Roster
- Company D - many men from Marion County and Morrow County - see Roster
- Company E - many men from Marion County - see Roster
- Company F - many men from Delaware County - see Roster
- Company G - many men from Delaware County - see Roster
- Company H - many men from Logan County - see Roster
- Company I - many men from Logan County - see Roster
- Company K - many men from Union County - see Roster
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Ninety-Sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry Web site includes history, roster, organization, roll of honor, cemeteries, biographies, archives, and references.
- Roster of the Ninety-Sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, 1862-1865, compiled by Robert F. Bartlett, Microfilm of original published: Columbus, Ohio, 1895. 179 p. Google book. FHL Collection film 1688773 Item 2; FHL Collection fiche 6118246 (2 fiche).
- Services of the Ninety-Sixth Ohio Volunteers, by J. T. Woods, Microfiche of original published: Toledo, Ohio ; Blade Print. and Paper Co., 1874. viii, 247 p. Includes rosters on p. 158-244. Google book. FHL Collection FHL fiche 6118247 (3 fiche); FHL book 977.1 M25w.
- Roster of the Survivors and Widows of Deceased Comrades of the Ninety-sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteers, by United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 96th (1862-1865). FHL Collection FHL film 1688772 Item 11