96th Regiment, Ohio Infantry
The 96th Regiment was organized at Camp Delaware, Ohio, August 29, 1862. It mustered out July 7, 1865, possibly at Mobile, Alabama, since it had duty at Mobile in July.
For more information about the 96th Regiment and its history, see:
- Ninety-Sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry Web site includes history, roster, organization, roll of honor, cemeteries, biographies, archives, and references. List of companies and county of origin. Rosters of companies.
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War web site. 96th Ohio Infantry.
- The Civil War Archive section, 96th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 5 September 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Companies by County:
See also: County listing from Steve Ward's Buckeyes All, Part V Revised, is given on Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War web page, 96th Infantry
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases.
- Roster of the Ninety-Sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, 1862-1865, compiled by Robert F. Bartlett, Microfilm of original published: Columbus, Ohio, 1895. 179 p. Google book. FHL Collection film 1688773 Item 2; FHL Collection fiche 6118246 (2 fiche).
- Services of the Ninety-Sixth Ohio Volunteers, by J. T. Woods, Microfiche of original published: Toledo, Ohio ; Blade Print. and Paper Co., 1874. viii, 247 p. Includes rosters on p. 158-244. Google book. FHL Collection FHL fiche 6118247 (3 fiche); FHL book 977.1 M25w.
- Bartlett, Robert Franklin. Roster of the Ninety-Sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, 1862- 1865. (Columbus, Ohio : Ohio Historical Society, 1988) FHL Film 1688773 Item 2
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 96th. Roster of the Survivors and Widows of Deceased Comrades of the Ninety-sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteers.(1862-1865) (Columbus, Ohio : Ohio Historical Society, 1988.) FHL film 1688772 Item 11
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 November 2010).
- The History of Union County, Ohio, containing a history of the county its townships, towns ... military record, (Chicago: W.H. Beers: 1883), part IV, page 500. Digital version: Internet Archive, accessed 4 December 2012.
- Ninety Sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Ninety Sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, see Organization section (accessed 10 November 2010).