93rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 93rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Chicago, Illinois, and mustered in October 13, 1862. It marched to Washington, D. C., via Richmond, Virginia, April 29-May 19, having a Grand Review on May 24. It mustered out June 23 and discharged at Chicago, Illinois, July 7, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 93rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 6 January 2011) article on the 93rd Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- Civil War Archive. (accessed 6 Jan 2011) Brief history of the 93rd Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 January 2011) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 91st-97th Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488480. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- Vance, Joseph W and Illinois. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois, 1861-1866 .(Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957, 1980).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 1670785. Other libraries with this book. View online atInternet Archives.Rosters of officers, enlisted men, and historical memoranda of the regiments.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).