91st Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 91st Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in September 8, 1862. It Mustered out July 12 and discharged at Chicago, Illinois, July 28, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 91st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 6 January 2011) article on the 91st Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- Civil War Archive. (accessed 6 Jan 2011) Brief history of the 91st Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Company A - many men from Montgomery County -
Company B - many men from Henderson County -
Company C - many men from Henderson County -
Company D - many men from Grundy County -
Company E - many men from Kendall County -
Company F - many men from Lawrence Count -
Company G - many men from Greene and Scott counties -
Company H - many men from Greene County -
Company I - many men from Carroll and Greene counties
Company K - many men from Greene County -
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 January 2011) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 91st Regiment (accessed 22 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois. Illinois Military Units in the Civil War. (Springfield, [Ill.]:Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois, c1962).FHL Collection.FHL US/CAN Book 977.3 M2im and FHL US/CAN FIlm 6334558. Other libraries with this book. Includes millitary units by county, infantry, cavalry, and artillery regiments, including independent artillery.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 91st-97th Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488480. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- Vance, Joseph W and Illinois. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois, 1861-1866 .(Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957, 1980).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 1670785. Other libraries with this book. View online atInternet Archives.Rosters of officers, enlisted men, and historical memoranda of the regiments.
- Beverly, James M. A History of the Ninety-first Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, 1862-1865. (Washington, District of Columbia : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, c1987).FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Film 1550194. Other libraries with this book.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).