91st Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 91st Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in September 8, 1862. It Mustered out July 12 and discharged at Chicago, Illinois, July 28, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 91st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 6 January 2011) article on the 91st Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- Civil War Archive. (accessed 6 Jan 2011) Brief history of the 91st Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 January 2011) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 91st-97th Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488480. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).