86th Regiment, Ohio Infantry
The 86th Regiment, Ohio Infantry mustered in June 10, 1862 at Camp Chase, Ohio. They were mustered out September 25, 1862 at Camp Delaware, Ohio. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 86th Ohio Infantry
- The Civil War Archive section, 86th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 31 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Officers and staff - See Roster
Counties determined by location of the towns given in the rosters in Joseph Nelson Ashburn's book, History of the Eighty-Sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, [A.S. Gilman Print. Co.], 1909.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases
- Ashburn, Joseph Nelson.History of the Eighty-Sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993) FHL Fiche 6118234 and Fiche 6118234and (Washington, District of Columbia : Filmed by the Library of Congress Photoduplication Service, 1988) FHL Film 1550148
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- The History of Union County, Ohio, containing a history of the county its townships, towns ... military record, (Chicago: W.H. Beers: 1883), part IV, page 492. Digital version: Internet Archive, accessed 4 December 2012.
- fckLRHistory of Salem and the immediate vicinity
-  History of Crawford County, Ohio, page 500
- Joseph Nelson Ashburn, History of the Eighty-Sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, published [A.S. Gilman Print. Co.], 1909. Digital version on Internet Archive. (Bethesda, Maryland: University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118234