86th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 86th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Peoria, Illinois, and mustered in August 27, 1862.
It marched to Washington, D.C., via Richmond, Virginia, April 29-May 19, 1865 and mustered out June 6 and discharged at Chicago, Illinois, June 21, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 86th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
• Wikipedia, (accessed 4 Jan. 2011) article on the 86th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
•The Civil War Archive. (accessed 4 Jan. 2011) Brief history of the 86th Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 5, page 214.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 4 Jan. 2011) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 86th Regiment (accessed 22 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois. Illinois Military Units in the Civil War. (Springfield, [Ill.]:Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois, c1962).FHL Collection.FHL US/CAN Book 977.3 M2im and FHL US/CAN FIlm 6334558. Other libraries with this book. Includes millitary units by county, infantry, cavalry, and artillery regiments, including independent artillery.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 83rd-90th Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488479. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- Vance, Joseph W and Illinois. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois, 1861-1866 .(Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957, 1980).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 1670785. Other libraries with this book. View online atInternet Archives.Rosters of officers, enlisted men, and historical memoranda of the regiments.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).