69th Regiment, Indiana Infantry
Organized at Richmond, Indiana, and mustered in August 19, 1862. Return to Mobile, Florida, May 3 and duty there till July. Mustered out July 5, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 101
- Company B - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 103
- Company C - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 105
- Company D - many men from Wayne and Blackford counties - see Roster on page 106
- Company E - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 108
- Company F- many men from Wayne and Randolph country - see Roster on page 109
- Company G - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 111
- Company H - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 113
- Company I - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 114
- Company K - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 116
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 117
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 69th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 13 Dec 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 69th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 69th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 69th Indiana Infantry monument (accessed 04 Jan 2011) located on Union Avenue 250 yards south of the Iowa Memorial.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- "Military Annals" Chapter 7 in Richman, George J.History of Hancock County, Indiana; Its People, Industries and Institutions. (Greenfield, Ind: Wm. Mitchell Printing Co, 1916.) (page 255-328 Regiment, Company, Name) 977.258 H2r FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other library INTERNET ARCHIVE Google books
- "The Civil War of 1861" Chaper 12 in Kemper, G. W. H. 1908. A twentieth century history of Delaware County, Indiana. (Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co.) (page 385, Regiment, Companies, Name's), 977.265 D3k v. 2 FHL US/CAN BookFHL Collection other libraries Vol. 1 Family History Archives Vol. 2 Family History ArchivesINTERNET ARCHIVE