65th Regiment, New York Infantry
The 65th Regiment, New York Infantry was organized at Willett's Point, N. Y., and left State for Washington, D. C., August 27, 1861. It was assigned to various times to various places and commands. The regiment mustered out July 17, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - principally recruited in New York City
Company B - principally recruited in Broome County, New York, Maine, Rhode Island the and the Hudson River counties which cnsist of Westchester County, Rockland County, Putnam County, Bergen County, Dutchess County, Orange County, Ulster County, Columbia County, Greene County, Rensselaer County, and Albany County
Company C - principally recruited in New York City
Company D - principally recruited in New York City, and (Troy), Rensselaer County
Company E - principally recruited in New York City, Connecticut and Rhode Island
Company F - principally recruited in New York City, and Rhode Island
Company G - principally recruited in New York City.
Company H - principally recruited in New York City, and Rhode Island
Company I - principally recruited in New York City.
Company K - principally recruited in New York City, and Ohio
1. Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System has the information listed above and may have additional historical information. Searches can be made by name of a soldier or sailor. Information about cemeteries battles, prisoners, medals of honor and national parks is also included.
3. The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book, FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
4. Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line).
5. New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
6. Hawks, Steve, The Civil War in the East. Database.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).