65th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (Scotch Regiment)
The 65th Regiment, Illinois, Infantry was organized at Camp Douglas, Chicago, Illinois, and mustered in May 1, 1862. The regiment mustered out on July 13 and was discharged at Chicago, Illinois, on July 26. 1865.
For more information on the history of the 65th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (Scotch Regiment), see the following:
• Wikipedia, (accessed 30 Dec 2010) article on the 65th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
• The Civil War Archive. (accessed 30 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 65th Regiment Infantry (Scotch Regiment).
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Company B - many men from Mercer and Rock Island counties - Mercer and Rock Island county web sites -
Company C - many men from Marshall County - Marshall County web site -
Company D - many men from Henry County and the state of Michigan -
Company G - many men from Cook County -
Company H - many men from Cook County -
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 65th Regiment (accessed 18 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 65th-75th Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488477 . Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- Wood, John and Illinois. Quartermaster General's Dept.; Illinois. General Assembly. Abstracts of Issues to Fifty-third, Fifty-fourth, Fifty-sixth, Fifty-seventh, Fifty-eighth, Sixtieth, Sixty-fourth and Sixty-fifth Regiments of Infantry. (Springfield, Ill. : Baker & Phillips, Printers, c1865.) Other libraries with this book. Report of the Quartermaster General of the State of Illinois.
- Vance, Joseph W and Illinois. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois, 1861-1866 .(Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957, 1980).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 1670784. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.Rosters of officers, enlisted men, and historical memoranda of the regiments.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).