65th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (Scotch Regiment)
The 65th Regiment, Illinois, Infantry was organized at Camp Douglas, Chicago, Illinois, and mustered in May 1, 1862. The regiment mustered out on July 13 and was discharged at Chicago, Illinois, on July 26. 1865.
For more information on the history of the 65th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (Scotch Regiment), see the following:
• Wikipedia, (accessed 30 Dec 2010) article on the 65th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
• The Civil War Archive. (accessed 30 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 65th Regiment Infantry (Scotch Regiment).
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 65th-75th Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488477. Other libraries with this microfilm. Internet Archives. View online.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).