64th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (Yates' Sharpshooters)
The 64th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (Yates' Sharpshooters) was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, as a Battalion of 4 Companies, on December, 1861. They mustered out on July 11 and were discharged at Chicago, Illinois, July 18, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 64th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (Yates' Sharpshooters), see the following:
•Wikipedia, (accessed 30 Dec 2010) article on the 64th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
•The Civil War Archive. (accessed 30 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 64th Regiment Infantry (Yates' Sharpshooters).
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 64th Regiment (accessed 18 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 59th-64th Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488476 . Other libraries with this microfilm.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 59th-64th Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488476. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- Wood, John and Illinois. Quartermaster General's Dept.; Illinois. General Assembly. Abstracts of Issues to Fifty-third, Fifty-fourth, Fifty-sixth, Fifty-seventh, Fifty-eighth, Sixtieth, Sixty-fourth and Sixty-fifth Regiments of Infantry. (Springfield, Ill. : Baker & Phillips, Printers, c1865.) Other libraries with this book. Report of the Quartermaster General of the State of Illinois.
- Vance, Joseph W and Illinois. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois, 1861-1866 .(Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957, 1980).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 1670784. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.Rosters of officers, enlisted men, and historical memoranda of the regiments.
- United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 64th (1861-1865). A list of living members as far as known also, a list of those killed in battle or died of their wounds during the Civil War, 1861 to 1865 : also, a record of the proceedings of their 49th reunion held at Walnut, Bureau County, Illinois, September 22nd and 23rd, 1915.(Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Fiche 6084264. (Microfiche of original published: [Chicago : Ye Cloister Print Shop], 1915. 16 p.) Other libraries with this book.
- Paul, Victor A. Rosters of the 64th Illinois Infantry: Alphabetically and by State and County of Residence : Yates Sharpshooters. (Washington, MO: Obscure Place Pub, 1996). Other libraries with this book.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).