57th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 57th Reigment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Douglas, Chicago, Illinois, and mustered in December 26, 1862. The regiment moved to Louisville, Kentucky on June 3. and mustered out on July 7, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 57th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 23 Dec 2010) article on the 57th Illinois Volunteer Infantry.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 23 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 57th Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Hewett, Janet B and United States. War Department. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. (Wilmington, North Carolina : Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001). Part II v. 12 (Union Infantry 50th-60th).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 12. Other libraries with this book.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).