54th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 54th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Dubois, Anna, Illinois, as a part of the Kentucky Brigade, and mustered in during February, 1862. The regiment mustered out on October 15, 1865, and was discharged at Camp Butler, Illinois.
For more information on the history of the 54th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 23 Dec 2010) article on the 54th Illinois Volunteer Infantry.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 23 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 54th Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
BOOKS & FILMS
- Hewett, Janet B and United States. War Department. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. (Wilmington, North Carolina : Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001). Part II v. 12 (Union Infantry 50th-60th).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 12. Other libraries with this book.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection54th-58th Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488475. Other libraries with this microfilm.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).