53rd Regiment, Ohio Infantry
The 53rd Regiment, Ohio Infantry mustered in September 3, 1861, to February 11, 1862 at Jackson, Ohio. They were mustered out August 11, 1865 at Little Rock, Arkansas. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 53rd Ohio Infantry
- The Civil War Archive section, 53rd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 30 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
County listing from Steve Ward's Buckeyes All, Part III Revised, is given on Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War web page, 53rd Ohio Infantry.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Duke, John K. History of the Fifty-third Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, during the war of the rebellion 1861-1865 : together with more than thirty personal sketches of officers and men. (Washington [District of Columbia] : Filmed by the Library of Congress Photoduplication Service, 1988) FHL Film 1550207
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).