51st Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 51st Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Quincy, Illinois and mustered in September 12, 1861. The regiment mustered out on September 25, 1865 at Camp Irwin, Texas and was discharged at Chicago, Illinois on October 15, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 51st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 23 Dec 2010) article on the 51st Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 23 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 51st Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters website. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives website. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Company A - many men from Cook County - Cook County web site - Roster pages
Company B - many men from Champaign County - Champaign County web site - Roster pages
Company C - many men from Knox and Iroquois counties. Knox and Iroquois county web sites - Roster pages
Company D - many men from Woodford County - Woodford County web site - Roster pages
Company E - many men from Champaign and Vermilion counties - Champaign & Vermilion counties web sites - Roster pages
Company F - many men from Mason County - Mason County web site - Roster pages
Company G - many men from Cook and Lake counties. Cook and Lake county web sites - Roster pages
Company H - many men from Rock Island County - Rock Island County web site - Roster pages
Company I - many men from Fulton County - Fulton County web site - Roster pages
Company K - many men from Cook County - Cook County web site - Roster pages
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 51st Regiment (accessed 17 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each.
BOOKS & FILMS
- Fox, Thomas B. and Henry Ware Hall and United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 51st. Memorial of Henry Ware Hall, Adjutant 51st Regiment Illinois Infantry Volunteers an Address Delivered in the First Church, Dorchester, Mass., Sunday, July 17, 1864. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993).FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084246. Google Books. Other libraries with this book.
- Smith, Benjamin T. Civil War Diary,1861-1865. (New Brunswick, New Jersey : Rutgers University, c1961).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 888795 Item 1.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled records showing service of military units in volunteer Union organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c. 1964.FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Films 1488453-1488677. Google Books.
- Gardner, William and United States. Army of the Cumberland. Decoration Some Footprints of the Army of the Cumberland, from the Privates' Standpoint. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993).FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084247 and 6118641. Other libraries with this book.
- Hewett, Janet B and United States. War Department. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. (Wilmington, North Carolina : Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001). Part II v. 12 (Union Infantry 50th-60th).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 12. Other libraries with this book.br>
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 48th-53rd Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488474 . Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- Vance, Joseph W and Illinois. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois, 1861-1866 .(Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957, 1980).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 7692. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.Rosters of officers and enlisted men and historical memoranda of the regiments.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).