50th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 50th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Quincy, Illinois and mustered in on September 12, 1861. They moved to Louisville, Kentucky on June 3-8 and mustered out on July 13, 1865.
For more information about the 50th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 16 Dec 2010) article for 50th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 23 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 50th Regiment Infantry.
- Google Book, (accessed 1 Mar 2011), view the book, Compendium of the War of the Rebellion online.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters website. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives website. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Company A - many men from Adams County - Adams County web site - Roster pages 60-62.
Company B - Adams County - Roster pages 62-65.
Company C - Adams County - Roster pages 65-67.
Company D - Adams County - Roster pages 67-70.
Company E - Hancock County - Roster pages 70-72.
Company F - Fulton & Hancock counties -Roster pages 72-75.
Company G - Hancock County - Roster pages 75-77.
Company H - Brown County - Roster pages 77-79
Company I - Warren County - Roster pages 80-82
Company K - Out of State and Adams County - Roster pages 82-84
Unassigned Recruits - Roster page 84.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 50th Regiment (accessed 17 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- Hubert, Charles F. History of the Fiftieth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry in the War of the Union. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, c1988).FHL Collection.FHL US/CAN Film 1421977 Item 4. FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Fiche 6084245. Other libraries with this book. Google books (accessed 11 January 2011).
- Hanna, William and United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 50th (1861-1865), Historical Memorial from the Members of the 50th Regiment Illinois Veteran Volunteer Infantry Reunion Association in Behalf of the Comrades of the 50th Illinois Veteran Volunteer Infantry, to Brevet Brigadier General William Hanna : Nineteenth Annual Reunion, Camp Point, Ill., Sept. 26-27, 1905.(Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993).FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084244. Other libraries with this book.
- Hubert, C. F. and United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 50th (1861-1865), Roster of Survivors of the Fiftieth Regt. Ills. Infantry Reunion Ass'n.(Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993). FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084243. Google books.
- Hewett, Janet B and United States. War Department. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. (Wilmington, North Carolina : Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001). Part II v. 12 (Union Infantry 50th-60th).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 12. Other libraries with this book.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 48th-53rd Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488474 . Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- Vance, Joseph W and Illinois. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois, 1861-1866 .(Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957, 1980).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 7692. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.Rosters of officers and enlisted men and historical memoranda of the regiments.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).