39th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 39th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Chicago, Illinois, and mustered in October 11, 1861. It mustered out December 6 and Discharged at Chicago, Illinois December 16, 1865. 
For more information about the 39th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 5 April 2011) article for 39th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 5 April 2011) Brief history of the 39th Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Will and Cook counties - Will and Cook county web site - Roster, vol. 3, pages 106-109.
- Company B - many men from McLean County - McLean County web site - Roster, vol. 3, pages 109-112.[[|]]
- Company C - many men from Livingston and Cook counties - Livingston and Cook county web sites - Roster, vol. 3, pages 112-115.
- Company D - many men from Ogle and DeWitt counties - Ogle and DeWitt county web sites - Roster, vol. 3, pages 115-118.
- Company E - many men from Will and Cook counties - Will and Cook county web sites - Roster, vol. 3, pages 118-121.
- Company F - many men from Cook and Lake counties - Cook and Lake county web sites - Roster, vol. 3, pages 121-124.
- Company G - many men from Cook and Will counties - Cook and Will county web sites - Roster, vol. 3, pages124-128.
- Company H - many men from Cook County - Cook County web site - Roster, vol. 3, pages 128-130.
- Company I - many men from DeWitt and Boone counties DeWitt and Boone county web sites - Roster, vol. 3, pages 131-134.
- Company K - many men from LaSalle, McLean and Cook counties - LaSalle, McLean and Cook county web sites - Roster, vol. 3, pages 134-137.
- Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 3, pages 137-138.
- Unassigned Drafted and Substitute Recruits - Roster, vol. 3, page 138.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 39th Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
- The ILGenWeb Civil War Scrapbook, (accessed 26 July 2011) contains links to various documents such as personal letters, military papers, articles, histories, obituaries, biographies, etc. Documents are listed by regiment, then by the soldier and his company.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- Clark, Charles M. The History of the Thirty-Ninth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Veteran Infantry, (Yates Phalanx.) in the War of the Rebellion. 1861-1865. 1889. FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Film 1550184 Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.
- United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 39th (1861-1865). Yates Phalanx : First Reunion of the Thirty-Ninth Illinois Veteran Volunteers Held at Bloomington, Ill., Dec. 19, 1866. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993). FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Fiche 6084232.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 10 May 2011).