38th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 38th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in August 15, 1861. It moved to Houston July 17. Mustered out December 31, 1865. 
For more information on the history of the 38th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
- Wikipedia (accessed 26 July 2011) An article and links for the 38th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- The Civil War Archive (accessed 26 July 2011) Brief history of the 38th Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company B - many men from Effingham County - Effingham County web site - Roster, vol. 3, pages 78-80.
- Company C - many men from Champaign and Fayette counties - Champaign and Fayette county web sites - Roster, vol. 3, pages 80-82.
- Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 3, page 99.
- Unassigned Drafted and Substitute Recruits - Roster, vol. 3, page 100.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 38th Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
- The ILGenWeb Civil War Scrapbook, (accessed 26 July 2011) contains links to various documents such as personal letters, military papers, articles, histories, obituaries, biographies, etc. Documents are listed by regiment, then by the soldier and his company.
- Patterson, William Elwood and Lowell Wayne Patterson. Jasper County Yankee: Campaigns of the 38th Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company K. (Westminister, Maryland: Heritage Books, Inc. c2011). ISBN: 0788453068 The diary of William E Patterson and his experiences with the 38th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Co. K. Some entries were made on the battlefield, after the battle. Includes a full name index. Information on this book can be found at Heritage Books, Inc. (accessed 26 July 2011).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 10 May 2011).