38th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 38th Regiment, Ikkinois Infantry was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in August 15, 1861. It moved to Houston July 17. Mustered out December 31, 1865. 
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Rock Island and Mercer counties
- Company B - many men from Stark and Henry counties
- Company C - many men from Lake County
- Company D - many men from Cook County and Michigan
- Company E - many men from LaSalle County
- Company F - many men from Lake County
- Company G - many men from Cook and McLean counties
- Company H - many men from Rock Island County
- Company I - many men from Boone County
- Company K - many men from Vermilion County
- Unassigned Recruits -
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 38th Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 10 May 2011).