37th Regiment, New Jersey Infantry
37th Regiment, New Jersey Infantry was organized at Camp Delaware, Trenton,New Jersey, and mustered in June 23, 1864. They mustered out at Trenton, New Jersey, October 1, 1864
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 37th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 20 July 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 37th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 20 July 2012).
- Civil War in the East, 37th New Jersy Infantry Regiment, (accessed 14 March 2013).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New Jersey in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New Jersey in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New Jersey, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States. Army. New Jersey Infantry Regiment, 37th (1862-1865). Souvenir of the first annual reunion, 37th Regiment, New Jersey Volunteers : at the home of Gen. E. Burd Grubb, Edgewater Park, New Jersey, September 12th, 1889. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6083489
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).