36th Regiment, Indiana Infantry
This Unit was organized at Richmond, Indiana, and mustered in September 16, 1861.
It was ordered to New Orleans, Louisiana, June 16. They transferred to 30th Indiana Battalion Infantry July 12, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 36th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 4 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 36th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Henry Country - see Roster on page 156
- Company A - many men from Henry County - see Roster 
- Company B - many men from Delaware County - see Roster on page 158
- Company C - many men from Henry Country - seeRoster on page 160
- Company C - many men from Henry County - see Roster 
- Company D - many men from Henry County - see Roster on page 162
- Company D - many men from Henry County - see Roster 
- Company E - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 163
- Company F - many men from Wayne County - see Roster on page 165
- Company G - many men from Union County - see Roster on page 166
- Company H - many men from Fayette County - see Roster on page 168
- Company I - many men from Wayne County - see Roster on page 169
- Company K - many men from Henry County - see Roster on page 171
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster - see page 172
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 36th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 36th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 36th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 36th Indiana Infantry Monument, Shiloh (accessed 04 Jan 2011) is located east ob Bloody Pond.
- Indiana 36th Infantry Reantry, Indiana Volunteers (accessed 04 Jan 2010) muster rolls;of Company "A", "C", "D", of Henry County.
- Lennard, George W., "'Give Yourself No Trouble about Me': The Shiloh Letters of George W. Lennard" (ed. Paul Hubbard and Christine Lewis, Indiana Magazine of History 76, no. 1 (March 1980): 21-53.) 1862-1864, Henry County (New Castle) , 36th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF (accessed 07 Apr 2011)
- Grose, William. The Story of the Marches, Battles and Incidents of the 36th Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry. (New Castle, Ind: The Courier company press, 1891.) FHL Collection Google books other library
- Company"D", 36th Regiment, Indiana Indiana (accessed 04 Jan 2011) Muster Roll-Company Book