36th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 36th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Aurora, Illinois, and mustered in September 23, 1861. It mustered out October 8 and discharged at Springfield, Illinois, October 27, 1865. 
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Cook and Kane counties - Cook and Kane county web site - Roster, vol. 3, pages 5-7.
(Company A went by other names such as Hamilton's Escort, Jenks' Cavalry Company or Dragoons, Rosecrans' Escort, and Willis' Cavalry Company.)
(Company B went by other names such as Davis' Escort, Sherer's Cavalry Company, Dragoons, and Smith's Cavalry Company.)
- Company C - many men from Warren and Lawrence counties - Warren and Lawrence county web sites - Roster, vol. 3, pages 10-13.
- Company F - many men from Kane and Kendall counties - Kane and Kendall county web sites - Roster, vol. 3, pages 19-22.
- Company K - many men from DuPage and Kane counties - DuPage and Kane county web sites - Roster, vol. 3, pages 30-33.
- Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 3, page 33.
- Unassigned Drafted and Substitute Recruits - Roster, vol. 3, page 34.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 36th Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 10 May 2011).