35th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 35th Regiment, Illinois Infantry mustered in at St. Louis, Missouri, August 28. 1861.
It moved to Springfield, Illinois, August 31 and Mustered out September 27, 1864 
For more information on the history of the 35th Regiment, Illinois, see the following:
- Wikipedia (accessed 26 July 2011) An article and links for the 35th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- The Civil War Archive (accessed 26 July 2011) Brief history of the 35th Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from assorted counties - Roster, vol. 2, pages 693-695
- Company B - many men from Christian and Fayette counties - Christian and Fayette county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 695-697.
- Company D - many men from Vermilion County - Vermilion County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 699-701.
- Company E - many men from Vermilion County - Vermilion County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 701-702.
- Company F - many men from Vermilion County - Vermilion County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 702-704.
- Company H - many men from Fayette and Bond counties - Fayette and Bond county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 706-708.
- Company I - many men from Vermilion County - Vermilion County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 708-710.
- Company K - many men from Fayette and Effingham counties - Fayette and Effingham county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 710-712.
- Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 2, page 712.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 35th Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
- The ILGenWeb Civil War Scrapbook, (accessed 26 July 2011) contains links to various documents such as personal letters, military papers, articles, histories, obituaries, biographies, etc. Documents are listed by regiment, then by the soldier and his company.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 10 May 2011).