34th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 34th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in September 7, 1861 It mustered out July 12 and discharged at Chicago, Illinois, July 17, 1865. 
For more information on the history of the 34th Regiment, Illinois, see the following:
- Wikipedia (accessed 26 July 2011) An article and links for the 34th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- The Civil War Archive (accessed 26 July 2011) Brief history of the 34th Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Achives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Whiteside County - Whiteside County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 655-658.
- Company B - many men from Whiteside County - Whiteside County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 659-662.
- Company G - many men from Morgan and Randolph counties - Morgan and Randolph county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 675-677.
- Company K - many men from Edgar and Whiteside counties - Edgar and Whiteside county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 684-686.
- Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 2, pages 686-687.
- Unassigned Drafted and Substitute Recruits - Roster, vol. 2, page 687.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 34th Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 10 May 2011).