32nd Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 32nd Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois and mustered in December 31, 1861. It was ordered to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and there mustered out September 16, 1865.Organized at Camp Butler, Illinois and mustered in December 31, 1861. Ordered to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and there mustered out September 16, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A (Gilmore's Cavalry) - many men from Macoupin County - Macoupin County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages
- Company B - many men from Hancock and Logan counties - Hancock and Logan county web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages
- Company E - many men from Fayette, Greene and Shelby counties - Fayette, Greene and Shelby county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages
- Company G - many men from St. Clair and Cass counties - St. Clair and Cass county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages
- Company I - many men from Macoupin, Wabash and Peoria counties - Macoupin, Wabash and Peoria county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages
- Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 2, pages
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 32nd Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 10 May 2011).