31st Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 31st Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Jacksonville, Illinois, and mustered in at Cairo, Illinois. It mustered out July 19 and discharged at Springfield, Illinois, July 31, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A (Also known as Dresser's Battery) - many men from Perry County
- Company B - many men from Saline County
- Company C (Also known as Dollins' Cavalry Company) - many men from Williamson County
- Company D - many men from Johnson County
- Company E - many men from Union and Williamson counties
- Company F - many men from Johnson and Pulaski counties
- Company G - many men from Saline County
- Company H - many men from Jackson and Union counties
- Company I - many men from Franklin and Tazewell counties
- Company K - many men from Marion County
- Unassigned Recruits -
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 31st Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 10 May 2011).