2nd Regiment, Rhode Island Infantry
The 2nd Regiment, Rhode Island was organized at Providence June, 1861. It was mustered out July 13, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 2nd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 6 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company K - many men from Newport County
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Mississippi in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Rhode Island in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Mississippi, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
Rhode, Elisha and Robert Hunt, All for the Union: a history of the 2nd Rhode Island Volunteer Infantry in the war of the great rebellion, as told by the diary and letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes who enlisted as a private in '61 and rose to the command of his regiment FHL 974.5 M2r Available for purchase on [http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3ARhode%20Island%20Infantry%20Regiment%5Cc%202nd%20(1861-1865)&page=1 Amazon.com
Woodbury, Agustus.The Second Rhode Island Regiment: a narrative of military operations in which the regiment was engaged from the beginning to the end of the war for the Union. FHL film 1,550,112.
- Ash, Stephen V. Firebrand of liberty : the story of two black regiments that changed the course of the Civil War. (New York, New York : W.W. Norton, c2008) FHL Book 975.7 M2as
American Civil War Pictures & photos - photo of Captain C. G. Dyer
Find a Grave - Rhode Island
Wikipedia - 2nd Rode Island Infantry
Stone Sentinels - Monument to the 2nd Rode Island Infantry Regiment in Gettysburg
Photo of John Ryan of Company H- Private. Shows the regiment uniform with shoulder scales