25th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry
The 25th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry completed its organization in August, 1861, at Camp Zollicoffer, in Overton County, Tennessee. On April 9, 1865, the 25th surrendered 4 officers and 21 men. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The 25th Regiment was composed of ten companies, four from Overton county, two from White, one from Putnam, two from White and Putnam, and one from Jackson county.
- Company A - Captains James H. Snodgrass, William H.M. Simpson - Men from Sparta, White County.
- Company B - Captains Josiah S.H. Bilbrey, Samuel Davis, W.H. Fleming, Samuel H. McCarver, Eugene R. Smith - Men from Hilham, Overton County.
- Company C - Captains William Gooch Smith, George H. Hash - Men from Cave, now Doyle's Station, White County.
- Company D - Captains Luther B. Myers, John M. Hughs, William H. Flemming - Men from Livingston, Overton County.
- Company E - Captains Dempsey M. Southard, James A. (or M.) Conley, William A. Duncan, G.W. Leatherbury, William Turner - Men from Cherry Creek, White County.
- Company F - Captains Joseph Shaw, Purtyman Jones, G.W. Kinnarid - Men from Cookville, Putnam County.
- Company G - Captains Leonidas A. McCarver, Albert Green - Men from Flynn's Lick, Jackson County.
- Company H - Captains James R. Copeland, Grandison H. Swope - Men from Livingston, Overton County.
- Company I - Captains Wiley J. Reed, William K. Phillips, James H. Curtis - Men from Putnam County.
- Company K - Captains Abraham Ford, Charles B. Slater, Samuel J. Johnson - Men from Putnam and White Counties.
Information for these companies comes from Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 29 Dec 2011).
- Twenty-fifth Regiment
- Organized August 10, 1861
- Colonel S. S. Stanton, Major Tim H. Williams
- Company C
- The information above is from The Goodspeed Histories, Vol. 4
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Lindsley, John B. The Military Annals of Tennessee: Confederate, First Series; Embracing a Review of Military Operations, with Regimental Histories and Memorial Rolls, Compiled from Original and Official Sources. 1886. Reprint. Spartanburg, South Carolina: Reprint Co., 1974. (Family History Library book 976.8 M2L.) Digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive. A Brief History and Memorial rolls of the 25th Tennessee Infantry begin on page 401.
- 25th Tennessee Infantry Regiment Descendants Association, (accessed 22 Oct 2011).
- 25th Tennessee Infantry Regiment (I - Z) Partial Transcriptions, (accessed 22 Oct 2011).
- The Twenty-fifth Tennessee (Confederate) Regiment, a brief history, (accessed 29 Dec 2011).
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, 25th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, (accessed 29 Dec 2011).
- Confederate Military Rosters Online, 25th Tennessee Infantry, (accessed 26 Feb 2012). Surnames are listed alphabetically. National Archives T268 - Rolls #222-226.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).