23rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 50th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Quincy, Illinois and mustered in on September 12, 1861. They moved to Louisville, Kentucky on June 3-8 and mustered out on July 13, 1865.
For more information about the 50th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 16 Dec 2010) article for 50th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 23 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 50th Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Hubert, Charles F. History of the Fiftieth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry in the War of the Union. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, c1988).FHL Collection.FHL US/CAN Film 1421977 Item 4. FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Fiche 6084245. Other libraries with this book. Google books (accessed 11 January 2011).
- Hanna, William and United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 50th (1861-1865), Historical Memorial from the Members of the 50th Regiment Illinois Veteran Volunteer Infantry Reunion Association in Behalf of the Comrades of the 50th Illinois Veteran Volunteer Infantry, to Brevet Brigadier General William Hanna : Nineteenth Annual Reunion, Camp Point, Ill., Sept. 26-27, 1905.(Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993).FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084244. Other libraries with this book.
- Hubert, C. F. and United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 50th (1861-1865), Roster of Survivors of the Fiftieth Regt. Ills. Infantry Reunion Ass'n.(Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993). FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084243. Google books.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).