21st Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 21st Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Mattoon, Illinois, and mustered in June 28, 1861. It mustered out at San Antonio, Texas, December 16, and discharged at Camp Butler, Illinois, January 18, 1866..
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Macon County - Macon County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 187-190.
- Company B - many men from Coles County, Cumberland County, Jo Daviess County and McDonough County - Coles, Cumberland, Jo Daviess and McDonough county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 190-192.
- Company C - many men from Piatt County - Piatt County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 192-195.
- Company D - many men from Douglas County - Douglas County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 195-197.
- Company E - many men from Moultrie County - Moultrie County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 197-200.
- Company F - many men from Edgar County - Edgar County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 200-202.
- Company G - many men from Clay County and Marion County - Clay and Marion county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 202-205.
- Company H - many men from Clark County and Jo Daviess County - Clark and Jo Daviess county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 205-208.
- Company I - many men from Crawford County - Crawford County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 208-210.
- Company K - many men from Jasper County and Richland County - Jasper and Richland county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 210-213.
- Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 2, page 213.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 21st Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- 21st Illinois Infantry Regiment, (Seventh Congressional District Regiment), Three Year Service, May 15, 1861 - December 16, 1865, has histories and company rosters. (accessed 18 August 2011).
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).