20th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry
The 20th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry was organized at New Haven, Connecticut and mustered in the 8th of September 1862. This regiment was mustered out June 13, 1865.
For more information about the 20th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry and its history, see:
- Regimental History - The Twentieth Connecticut : a regimental history, by John W. Storrs - Online book
Companies in this Regiment
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first. This regiment was composed of men from all parts of Connecticut, but the majority of men in each unit resided in the following counties:
Company A was largely formed by men from New Haven County.
Company B was largely formed by men from New Haven County.
Company D was largely formed by men from Middlesex County.
Company E was largely formed by men from Hartford County.
Company F was largely formed by men from New Haven County.
Company G was largely formed by men from New Haven County.
- Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations, with additional enlistments and casualties to July 1, 1864. Compiled From Records in the Adjutant General's Office and Published by Order of the Legislature, by Horace J. Morse - Adjutant General - Online Book
- Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations : (infantry, cavalry, and artillery,) in the service of the United States, 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, &c., &c., and brief summaries, showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries (1869) by Connecticut. Adjutant-General's Office; Ingersoll, Colin M. (Colin Macrae), 1819-1904 - Online Book
- The Civil War in the East - Timeline of the 20th Connecticut Infantry Regiment
- The Stamford Historical Society, Inc. - History and Roster
- Twentieth Connecticut Infantry Volunteers - This website contains a variety of links with information regarding the regiment, including a history and gravesites.