1st Regiment, Tennessee Cavalry (Union)
The 1st Regiment, Tennessee Cavalry was organized at Camp Dennison, Ohio, November, 1862, from 4th Tennessee Infantry. Attached to Camp Dennison, Ohio, to December, 1862. It mustered out June, 1865. It was also called 1st East Tennessee Cavalry Regiment.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 1st Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 29 March 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, 1st Regiment Tennessee Volunteer Cavalry, (accessed 28 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Organized at Cumberland Gap, April 1, 1862, with men from Knox and Hancock Counties.
- Company B - Organized at Sneedville, Hancock County, in March, 1862.
- Company C - Organized at Cumberland Gap, on April 1, 1862, with men from Knox County.
- Company D - Organized at Flat Lick, Kentucky in April, 1862, with men from Cocke and Greene Counties.
- Company E - Organized at Camp Garber, Kentucky in April, 1862, with men from Cocke County.
- Company F - Organized at Boston, Kentucky on March 1, 1862, with men from Cocke County.
- Company G - Organized at Cumberland Gap, on July 1, 1862 with men from Cocke County.
- Company H - Organized July 23, 1862 in Greene County.
- Company I - Organized at Cumberland Gap on August 12, 1862 with men from Bradley and Greene Counties.
- Company K - Organized at Cumberland Gap on August 16, 1862, with men from Bradley County.
- Company L - Organized at Camp Dennison, Ohio, on November 1, 1862 with men from Bradley County.
- Company M - Organized at Greeneville, Greene County in November, 1862. 
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 2 Sep 2011). Brief History, Field Officers, Captains.
- The War for Southern Independence, Federal Military Units, Tennessee 1st Cavalry Regiment, (accessed 2 Sep 2011). Brief History
- 1st Tennessee Cavalry, (accessed 3 Jan 2012). History, searchable roster.
- Wikipedia, 1st Regiment Tennessee Volunteer Cavalry, (accessed 3 Jan 2012). Service, Casualties, commanders.
- Wright, General Marcus J., Tennessee in the War 1861-1865, (Ambrose Lee Publishing Company, Williamsbridge, New York City, 1908). Online book at Internet Archive. Roster of the volunteer force in the United States army from Tennessee. Roster of officers is given as it stood on the day of the muster out. Cavalry 1st Regiment begins on page 131.
- Civil War Records, Bradley County, Tennessee, (accessed 26 Feb 2012). Resources available at the Cleveland Public Library. Military Records of Union and Confederate Soldiers from Bradley County (microfilm), Federal Regiments: 1st Tenn. Cavalry Regiment.
- Federal Military Rosters, 1st Tennessee Cavalry Regiment, (accessed 26 Feb 2012).