18th Regiment, New Hampshire Infantry
The 18th Regiment New Hampshire Infantry was organized at Concord and mustered in on September 13, 1864. The first six companies were recruited under call of July 19, 1864 and four companies under call of December 21, 1864. Companies "G," "H" and "I" join Regiment in February, March and April, 1865. Company "K" was on duty at Galloupe's Island, Boston Harbor, entire term, and mustered out May 6, 1865. Six original companies muster out June 10, 1865 and the balance of the regiment muster out July 29, 1865. The length of service was for 10 months.
For more information about the 18th Regiment, New Hampshire Infantry and its history, see:
- Thomas L. Livermore, History of the Eighteenth New Hampshire Volunteers, 1864-1865, Boston, Massachusetts:Fort Hill Press, 1904. Available online at Google Books, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Book 974.2 M2Lt, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6126275,}} or FHL US/CAN Fiche 6083305.
- 18th New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry - from Wikipedia , the free encyclopedia, (accessed 11 Mar 2011).
- New Hampshire Infantry Page, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). New Hampshire Heritage
- Eighteenth New Hampshire Regiment Rosters, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). This is not a complete roster.
- The following Company Rosters , (accessed 11 Mar 2011), are from the book, History of the Eighteenth New Hampshire Volunteers, 1864-1865, by Thomas Leonard Livermore.
- Company A - Roster begins on page 81.
- Company B - Roster begins on page 85.
- Company C - Roster begins on page 89.
- Company D - Roster begins on page 92.
- Company E - Roster begins on page 96.
- Company F - Roster begins on page 99.
- Company G - Roster begins on page 103.
- Company H - Roster begins on page 107.
- Company I - Roster begins on page 111.
- Company K - Roster begins on page 114.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 1 Apr 2011), can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment. This site uses Joseph H. Crute's book, Units of the Confederate States Army, as their main source for the regiment history. Family History Library book 973 M2crua, FHL Collection, WorldCat, (accessed 1 Apr 2011).
- Footnote.com, (accessed 1 Apr 2011). (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- Civil War in the East, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). Timeline of the 18th New Hampshire Infantry Regiment.
- New Hampshire Men Awarded the Metal of Honor In the Civil War, (accessed 11 Mar 2011 - lists all men from New Hampshire that received the Metal of Honor.
- New Hampshire. Adjutant General's Office, Civil War Oaths, 1861-1865, Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1975. Available on microfilm at the Family History Library FHL US/CAN Film 983230.
- Thomas L. Livermore, Days and events, 1860-1866, Boston and New York: Houghton Mifflin Company,, 1920, Available online at Internet Archives, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). Also available on microfiche at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6083304. Thomas L. Livermore, late Colonel of the 18th New Hampshire Volunteers.
- Otis F.R. Waite, New Hampshire in the Great Rebellion, Claremont, New Hampshire: Tracy, Chase & Co., c1991. Available online with Google Books, (accessed 11 Mar 2011).. Also found at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Book 974.2 M2w. This book shows a list of the field, staff and company officers, and the official record of each. Eighteenth Regiment, starts on page 538.
- Augustus D. Ayling, Adjutant General, Revised register of the soldiers and sailors of New Hampshire in the War of the Rebellion, 1861-1866, Concord, New Hampshire : Ira C. Evans, 1895. Available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Book 974.2 M23nh, or FHL US/CAN Film 1697872, Item 1-2. Book contains a good summary of each New Hampshire regiment. Also contains alphabetical that list the birth place, age or enlistment, place of residence at the time of enlistment.