17th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry
The 17th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry was organized at Bridgeport, Fairfield County, Connecticut and was mustered in August 28, 1862. This regiment was mustered out on the 19th of July, 1865 at Hilton Head, Beaufort County, South Carolina.
For more information about the 17th Regiment Infantry and its history, see:
- Regimental History - The Seventeenth Connecticut Volunteer Infantry - The Stamford Historical Society Inc.
Companies in this Regiment
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. This regiment was composed of men from all parts of Connecticut, but the majority of men in each unit resided in Fairfield County:
Company A -
Company B -
Company C -
Company D -
Company E -
Company F -
Company G -
Company H -
Company I -
Company K -
- Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations, with additional enlistments and casualties to July 1, 1864. Compiled From Records in the Adjutant General's Office and Published by Order of the Legislature, by Horace J. Morse - Adjutant General - Online Book. Or FHL Collection on FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082886 (9 fiche) or FHL US/CAN Book 974.6 M2a .
- Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations: (infantry, cavalry, and artillery,) in the service of the United States, 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, &c., &c., and brief summaries, showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries (1869) by Connecticut. Adjutant-General's Office; Ingersoll, Colin M. (Colin Macrae), 1819-1904 - Online Book. Or FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082887 (10 fiche) or FHL US/CAN Film 1033670 Item 1.
- A New Canaan Private in the Civil War: Letters from a Private of the 17th Connecticut Infantry, by Justus M. Silliman and Edward Marcus. This book can be found at www.worldcat.org.
- The Civil War in the East - Timeline of the 17th Connecticut Infantry Regiment
- The Stamford Historical Society, Inc. - History and Roster