16th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry
Brief History - "The Plymouth Pilgrims"
The 16th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry was organized at Hartford, Connecticut and mustered in on the 24th of August, 1862. This regiment was mustered out of service June 24, 1865.
For more information about the 16th Regiment Infantry and its history, see:
- Regimental History - History of the Sixteenth Connecticut Volunteers, by B.F. Blakeslee - Online book or FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Film 1685391 or FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082941 (2 fiche).
Companies in this Regiment
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. This regiment was composed of men from all parts of Connecticut, but the majority of men in each unit resided in the following counties:
Company D was largely formed by men from Hartford County.
Company F was largely formed by men from Hartford County.
Company K was largely formed by men from Hartford County.
- Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations, with additional enlistments and casualties to July 1, 1864. Compiled From Records in the Adjutant General's Office and Published by Order of the Legislature, by Horace J. Morse - Adjutant General - Online Book. Or FHL Collection on FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082886 (9 fiche) or FHL US/CAN Book 974.6 M2a .
- Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations: (infantry, cavalry, and artillery,) in the service of the United States, 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, &c., &c., and brief summaries, showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries (1869) by Connecticut. Adjutant-General's Office; Ingersoll, Colin M. (Colin Macrae), 1819-1904 - Online Book. Or FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082887 (10 fiche) or FHL US/CAN Film 1033670 Item 1.
- Graves of the 16th Connecticut Regiment - Roster by Name and Roster by Company
- The Civil War in the East - Timeline of the 16th Connecticut Infantry Regiment
- Sixteenth Regiment Connecticut Volunteers excursion and reunion at Antietam Battlefield, September 17, 1889, includes a description of activities of the 16th Connecticut Infantry Regiment in the following battles or localities: Antietam, Md.; Fredericksburg, Va.; Suffolk, Va.; Plymouth, N.C.- FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082940 (1 fiche).
- 16th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry, by Sergeant William H. Relyea and John M. Priest. This book can be found at www.worldcat.org.
- Souvenir of excursion to Antietam and dedication of monuments of the 8th, 11th, 14th and 16th regiments of Conn. volunteers, Pref. written by Walter J. Yates - FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082922 (1 fiche).