153rd Regiment, New York Infantry
The 153rd regiment was organized at Fonda, Herkimer County and mustered in under Colonel Duncan McMartin, Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Armstrong and Major Edwin P. Davis on October 17, 1862.
They were mustered out at Savannah, Georgia, October 2, 1865 under Colonel Davis and Lt. Colonel McLaughlin.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 153rd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 17 August 2012).
The New York State Military Museum website has a unit history project page for the 153rd Infantry Regiment.
The Civil War in the East website gives a timeline for the involvement of 153rd New York Infantry Regiment in the war.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of OriginEdit
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See the Regiment Roster, for listing of individuals, their company and their involvement.
Company A - principally recruited from Johnstown, Fulton County
Company C - principally recruited from Root, Glen, Florida and Charleston, all in Montgomery County
Company D - principally recruited from Johnstown and Mayfield of Fulton County
Company E - principally recruited from Minden and St. Johnsville in Montgomery County
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York: J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Collection FHL book 974.7 M2p, FHL film 1486494-1486496
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Collection FHL book 973 M2ua
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 153rd. The 18th annual re-union of the 153d N. Y. Veteran Association, 1899. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083849
- Hawks, Steve. The Civil War in the East. Database. (accessed October 2011)
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (database on-line) at https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/soldiers-and-sailors-database.htm (accessed 2010).
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : 153rd Infantry Regiment” in New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/153rdInf/153rdInfMain.htm (accessed 31 December 2010) citing Frederick Phisterer, compiler. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database. http://www.civilwarintheeast.com/USA/NY/NY153.php (accessed 31 December 2010)