153rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry (1 year, 1865)
The 153rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry (1 year, 1865) was organized at Camp Fry, Chicago, Illinois, and mustered in for 1 year February 27, 1865. They moved to Memphis, Tennessee, and duty there until September. It mustered out September 9, 1865. 
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Boone County - Boone County web site -
- Company B - many men from Boone County and McHenry counties - Boone and McHenry county web sites -
- Company C - many men from Kane County - Kane County web site -
- Company D - many men from Jo Daviess County - Jo Daviess County web site -
- Company E - many men from Bureau and Cook counties - Bureau and Cook county web sites -
- Company F - many men from Cook County - Cook County web site -
- Company G - many men from Winnebago County - Winnebago County web site -
- Company H - many men from Lake and Cook counties - Lake and Cook counties web site -
- Company I - many men from Cook County - Cook County web site -
- Company K - many men from McHenry County - McHenry County web site -
- Unassigned Recruits
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).