14th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry
The 14th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry was organized at Hartford, Connecticut and was mustered in the 23rd of August, 1862. Before this regiment was mustered out of service May 31, 1865 a few veterans and recruits were transferred to 2nd Regiment Connecticut Heavy Artillery.
For more information on the 14th Regiment Infantry and its history, see:
Regiment History - History of the Fourteenth Regiment, Connecticut Volunteer Infantry, by Charles D. Page - Online Book
Companies in this Regiment
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first. This regiment was composed of men from all parts of Connecticut:
Company A was largely formed by men from Fairfield County.
Company B was largely formed by men from Middlesex County.
Company C was largely formed by men from New Haven County.
Company D was largely formed by men from Tolland County.
Company F was largely formed by men from Hartford County.
Company G - Company G, 14th Connecticut Regiment - Original Photos, History, Biographies
Company H was largely formed by men from New London County.
- Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations, with additional enlistments and casualties to July 1, 1864. Compiled From Records in the Adjutant General's Office and Published by Order of the Legislature, by Horace J. Morse - Adjutant General - Online Book. Or FHL Collection on FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082886 (9 fiche) or FHL US/CAN Book 974.6 M2a .
- Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations: (infantry, cavalry, and artillery,) in the service of the United States, 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, &c., &c., and brief summaries, showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries (1869) by Connecticut. Adjutant-General's Office; Ingersoll, Colin M. (Colin Macrae), 1819-1904 - Online Book or FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082887 (10 fiche) or FHL US/CAN Film 1033670 Item 1.
- Graves of the 14th Connecticut Regiment - Roster by Name and Roster by Company
- The Civil War in the East - Timeline of the 14th Connecticut Infantry Regiment
- Gettysburg 14th Connecticut Infantry Monument - U.S. Civil War Photographs
Address delivered at the dedication of monument of the 14th Conn. Vols. at Gettysburg, Penn., July 3d, 1884, by Comrade H.S. Stevens with a description of the monument, &c. Also, an account of the trip of the 14th C.V. to Gettysburg, July 1-3, '84 by Comrade J.W. Knowlton - FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082935 (1 fiche).
- Souvenir of excursion to Antietam and dedication of monuments of the 8th, 11th, 14th and 16th regiments of Conn. volunteers, Pref. written by Walter J. Yates - FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082922 (1 fiche).
- The Stamford Historical Society - History and Roster