13th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry
The 13th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry was formed from Eight Companies organized at Camp Douglass, Ill., October 30, 1861, to February 20, 1862. They mustered out August 31, 1865. .
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 13th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 14 June 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 13th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Cook County - Cook County web site -
- Company B - many men from Cook County - Cook County web site -
- Company C - many men from Cook County and Will County - Cook and Will county web sites -
- Company D - many men from Cook County - Cook County web site -
- Company E - many men from Cook County, Warren County, and Richland County - Cook, Warren and Richland county web sites -
- Company F - many men from Will County - Will County web site -
- Company G - many men from Douglas County and Morgan County - Douglas and Morgan county web sites -
- Company H - many men from Kane County, Douglas County, and Cook County - Kane, Douglas and Cook county web sites -
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 13th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- United States. Army. Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment, 13th (1861-1864). Military history and reminiscences of the Thirteenth Regiment of Illinois Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War : in the United States, 1861. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6084202
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).