139th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864)
Organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, and mustered in June 5, 1864. Mustered out September 29, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the Civil War Index (accessed 25 Aug. 2011). The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Clinton, Boone, Grant, and Miami Counties - see Roster on page 416
- Company B - many men from Franklin and Floyd Counties - see Roster on page 417
- Company C - many men from Dearborn County - see Roster on page 418
- Company D - many men from Noble and Grant Counties - see Roster on page 420
- Company E - many men from Henry County - see Roster on page 421
- Company F- many men from Fayette County - see Roster on page 422
- Company G - many men from Henry, Ripley, andRush Counties - see Roster on page 424
- Company H - many men from Allen County - see Roster on page 425
- Company I - many men from Jay, Blakford, Adams, Morgan, and Randolph Counties - see Roster on page 426
- Company K - many men from Switzerland, Jefferson, and Dearborn Counties - see Roster on page 427
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 139th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 29 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 16 Aug 2011)
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 13 Dec 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Website with histories of the Indiana Regiments.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 139th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- "Jay County And The War" Chapter 17 in Montgomery, M.W., History of Jay County, Indiana, (Chicago, Illinois: Church, Goodman Cushing, 1864), (page 279, Regiment, Company, Name's),977.267 H2m FHL US/CAN Book FHL CollectionINTERNET ARCHIVE