127th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 127th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Douglas, Illinois, and mustered in September 6, 1862. They march to Washington, D. C., via Richmond, Virginia, April 29-May 19 and Grand Review May 24.It mustered out June 4 and discharged at Chicago, Illinois, June 17, 1865. .
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from
- Company B - many men from
- Company C - many men from
- Company D - many men from
- Company E - many men from
- Company F - many men from
- Company G - many men from
- Company H - many men from
- Company I - many men from
- Company K - many men from
- UnAssigned Recruits
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
BOOKS & FILMS
- Hewett, Janet B and United States. War Department. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. (Wilmington, North Carolina : Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001). Part II v. 12 (Union Infantry 50th-60th).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 12. Other libraries with this book.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 48th-53rd Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488474 . Other libraries with this microfilm.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).