109th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 109th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Anna, Illinois, and mustered in September 11, 1862. The Regiment disbanded April 10, 1863, having lost 237 by desertion and officers (excepting those of Company "K") having proved themselves utterly incompetent. Company "K" transferred to 11th Illinois Infantry. .
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Union County - Union County web site -
- Company B - many men from Alexander and Jackson counties - Alexander and Jackson county web sites -
- Company C - many men from Union County - Union County web site -
- Company D - many men from Johnson and Union counties - Johnson and Union county web sites -
- Company E - many men from Union County - Union County web site -
- Company F - many men from Union County - Union County web site -
- Company G - many men from Union County - Union County web site -
- Company H - many men from Union County - Union County web site -
- Company I - many men from Union County - Union County web site -
- Company K - many men from Pulaski County - Pulaski County web site -
- Unassigned Recruits
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 109th Regiment(accessed 22 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- Hewett, Janet B and United States. War Department. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. (Wilmington, North Carolina : Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001). Part II v. 12 (Union Infantry 50th-60th).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 12. Other libraries with this book.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 48th-53rd Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488474 . Other libraries with this microfilm.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).