To request editing rights on the Wiki, click here.

Difference between revisions of "Huddersfield, Yorkshire Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (Text replace - "Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add)
m (Text replace - "'''JMI" to "'''JOIN")
Line 35: Line 35:
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FS = '''[]
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FS = '''[]
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''JMI = '''[] (£)
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''JOIN = '''[] (£)

Revision as of 16:11, 10 May 2014

England Gotoarrow.png Yorkshire Gotoarrow.png Yorkshire Parishes, A-I Gotoarrow.png West Riding of Yorkshire Gotoarrow.png Huddersfield

Parish History[edit | edit source]

HUDDERSFIELD, a borough, market-town, and parish, and the head of a union, in the Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York; comprising the chapelries or districts of Golcar, Lindley, Longwood, Paddock, Scammonden, Slaithwaite, and part of Marsden; 40 miles (S. W.) from York, and 189 (N. N. W.) from London. The parish comprises...Trinity district church... and Christ Church, ...named Woodhouse. ...Two places of worship have been opened for Independents. ...Here are also two for Wesleyans, one of which was erected in 1819; one for the Society of Friends; one each for Primitive Methodists and Methodists of the New Connexion; and a Roman Catholic chapel. [1]

  • Holy Trinity district church -1819
  • St. Paul's Church -1831
  • Christ Church - 1825
  • Slaithwaite
  • Scammonden or Deanhead
  • Paddock
  • Lindley
  • Longwood
  • Golcar

Places of worship have been erected for the Independent Church--one in 1835, and one in 1845, respectively. Also two churches were built for Wesleyan Methodists, one in 1819; a meeting house for the Society of Friends; a chapel was built for the Primitive Methodists and one for the New Connexion Methodists. In 1833 a Roman Catholic chapel, was erected here.[2]

Civil Registration[edit | edit source]

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records[edit | edit source]

AC = (£)
FMP = (£)[3]
FS =
JOIN = (£)


Indexes Images Indexes Images Indexes Images
AC 1562-1910 1562-1910 1562-1935 1562-1935 1562-1925 1562-1925
FMP 1749-1819 None None None None None
FS 1566-1824 None 1724-1824 None Add None

List of Chapelry's in this Parish[edit | edit source]

To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.

This ancient parish (AP) was created before 1813.  Church of England records began in 1562 (St. Peter), 1830 (All Saints), 1819 (Holy Trinity), 1871 (St. Andrew), 1852 (St. John), 1887 (St. Mark), 1831 (St. Paul), 1859 (St. Thomas).

Census records[edit | edit source]

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.

Probate records[edit | edit source]

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Websites[edit | edit source]

References[edit | edit source]

  1. Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 569-574. Date accessed: 28 October 2013.
  2. Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 569-574.
  3. Huddersfield and District Baptisms Collection