Writtle, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Writtle, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
All Saints Writtle Essex
|Poor Law Union||Chelmsford|
|Parish registers: 1634|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1813|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Court of the Peculiar of Writtle with Roxwell; Post-1844 - Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
WRITTLE (All Saints), it is a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union and hundred of Chelmsford, in the S. division of Essex, it is 2½ miles (W. by S.) from Chelmsford. A chapel was erected in the Highwood Quarter, and consecrated in Oct. 1842. There is a place of worship for Independents.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Writtle, Essex Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors - (£)|
|FAMR = FamilyRelatives - (£)|
|FSPRs = England, Essex Parish Registers, 1503-1997 (FamilySearch) - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|Writtle, Essex Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Adapted. Date accessed: 24 May 2013.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- 'Essex Parish registers collection 1538 on Familyrelatives.com,' Family Relatives, accessed 12 March 2012. Derived from Phillimore Marriage Indexes.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm